Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Music that Moves Me: I'm So Sick

Lately, I've been really physically sick, and I know I'm not the only one. As a result, I've been getting sickness related songs stuck in my head, including Candle by White Tie Affair and I'm So Sick by Flyleaf. So this post is for all of you who could really use some healing right about now-I feel your pain...

"I took a ride on a February morning,
Just getting over it and dealing with the mourning,
I started thinking out loud: I'm so sick and tired of being sick and tired,
My baby's flying off the edge of the road,
She's saying, "I'm so sorry about that note",
That left me all alone,
But I'm so sick and tired of being sick and tired

Somebody turn the lights on,
Somebody tell me what's wrong,
I'd be lying if I told you,
Losing you was something I could handle,
Somebody turn the lights on,
Somebody tell me how long,
All this darkness will surround you,
Cuz I'm burning for you,
Burning like a candle"


There are many different interpretations for this song, some involving coming to God after a friend/love commits suicide, and some as generic as loving someone who doesn't love you. One of the best things about music is how open to interpretation it is, how everyone can add their unique story to the same song. I, personally, tend to lean toward a suicidal theme-I think she's planning on committing suicide (or is battling severe depression), and he finds the note, and he's begging her to help him understand. It's a sad song to me, but the candle analogy and his willingness to wait on her to come around lend it a hopeful element. At least, that's what I think about it-what about you?




"I will break into your thoughts
With what's written on my heart
I will break, break

I'm so sick,
Infected with where I live
Let me live without this
Empty bliss,
Selfishness
I'm so sick
I'm so sick
"


To me, this song is about being sick of the way that you, and the people around you, are living...sick of selfishness and superficiality. Standing up and telling those who refuse to listen to shut up and hear 'my screaming in your itching ears'. And I'm most definitely sick of the mindsets of so many around me, of the selfishness and the hypocrisy. This song is empowering-it slams what's wrong in your face so that you have to deal with it. I love the music, and Lacey's voice, and the lyrics (though Breathe Today is probably my favorite song from their self titled album). The video is below, but for those of you who don't like Flyleaf or Lacey's screaming, at least check out the lyrics here.



So, what makes you sick?

7 comments:

I hope you feel better soon! I love how that happens, how you can put different meanings to the same song, depending on who's listening to the song. I really like the first lyrics a lot. Very poetic.
 
I'm So Sick is one of my favorite songs ever!
 
I just got over being sick. :P Hope you get better soon!
 
I love that song...
*gosh* it's awesome.

I am really enjoying Eragon...
it's a rather slow read. But hey... I need to learn to read slower. Though I'm embarassed to say that I'm lovin' Roran even more the Eragon *wince*.

Haha... my friend Alyson (who introduced me to Eragon) says that books two and three will make me happy because he's like the new main character. :P

But it's good -- I like it. I just wish there was a smidgen more romance. :)

xx,
Bleah
 
@Shaynie: Thanks so much! I agree… they are poetic :). Glad you enjoyed it!

@Mackenzie: Me too! That and Breathe Today… (haha, it was my singing-in-the-shower-song for ages, so my sister hates it now xD). And I'm glad you're feeling better! Thanks :).

@Bleah: So glad you liked it! :D.
Haha, you're going to love Eldest :). More Roran(yesness), and more romance! Eldest was my favorite because I love the beauty in the… place-that-he-winds-up-which-is-awesome ;). Haha, thanks for the comment!
 
Thank you so much for the links...
I just spend forever studying the stuff and trying. But I'm so NOT techie. It's pathetic. I know 10 year olds who are better at it then me. I can't do anything with HTML or anything.

So I can't seem to figure it out. :/
I'll just leave my link the same I guess... I just feel like it gives the wrong impression of who I am now.

*sigh*

Oh well. Thank you so much for all of the help! :D

xx,
Bleah
 
There might be good themes in Flyleaf's songs, but I don't care for Lacey Mosley's voice...
 

Post a Comment

Hope this post didn't totally bore ya! :D. I love my commenters, because I value your opinion and love to hear your thoughts! So, what do you think? :)