Tuesday, August 24, 2010

A Brief Explanation of My Education :)

Hello all! My first day of school is tomorrow (technically today since it is kind of three am...), and since I'll probably talk about the insanity of senior year here, a quick explanation is in order.
I am legally homeschooled.
My parents are legally my teachers and are legally responsible for my education. However, they've hired 'tutors' to teach me.
The reality is both of my parents have jobs, and I go to school where I am taught by multiple teachers in multiple classrooms with other students. It's basically like your average public highschool, but with smaller class sizes, my parents have the final say when it comes to my grades, and I only have to go once a week :). I'm taught a week's-worth of info, then given a week's-worth of homework to accomplish (and the program I've been attending is college prep, so the courses are challenging). What I love about it is that I can choose when to do it throughout the week, and can make plans one day and shift my homework schedule accordingly. The unfortunate similarities to public school are sometimes you get a teacher who is a 'bitty' (not the word I'm thinking :-P), and there can be cliques. The good part: I'm in control of my education, I've had the opportunity to get to know some amazing teachers and make great friends, and I'm able to work the morning shift during the school year unlike most of the other employees my age. I've also taken classes at a community college during the school year and summer, gathering college credits. In past years, that has been the way it worked, and I am so grateful for it :).

 
This coming year, things will be a little different. Instead of taking six classes at one basic location (plus dual enrollment), I'm only taking three (which is bittersweet)at two locations. On Tuesdays I'm taking Spanish in the late afternoon, and on Wednesdays I'm taking Physics and World History in the morning. Thur-Fri-Sat-and some Sundays, I'll be working. Mondays I get off work to cram. So hopefully this post, which wasn't as brief as I planned, will save me a backstory later.
 
While I'm on the subject, I don't advertise myself as 'homeschooled' (though I am) and don't consider myself a 'homeschooler', mostly because of the negative stereotypes associated with homeschoolers. When someone knows me AT ALL, I feel more comfortable sharing that, and I get told a lot 'You're homeschooled? I wouldn't have guessed that...'. The fact is, there are many different ways of homeschooling, many options and styles and opportunities.  So don't write it off as staying at home all day in your PJ's with your mom and 38 siblings.  Homeschooling can provide an amazing education, whether your parents are your teachers or you hire others.  And that's my two cents on the matter :).  What about you guys?  Are you public schooled?  Private schooled?  Dual enrollment?  Or homeschooled?  If you're homeschooled, what do you think of it? And am I the only one who feels just like Jeremy in that strip?

--
"But you see, it's not me, it's not my family.
In your head, in your head they are fighting,
With their tanks and their bombs,
And their bombs and their guns.
In your head, in your head, they are crying..."


     ´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨)*´¨)
(¸.·´¸.·*´¨) *
  (¸.· Elizabeth *´¨)
             ¸.·´ ¸.·*´¨) *
             (¸.·´*
        

4 comments:

I am public school all the way. The way you describe your homeschooling is nothing what I would imagine it to be. If it were up to me, I would strongly prefer to have the smaller the class and fewer class meetings. A lot of times I sit at school in class and feel like it's a waste of time to be there when most of what we do could be done outside of class...
 
I was homeschooled; I graduated in May. I loved being homeschooled!
 
That's such a cool way to learn! Plus you don't have to deal with budget cuts threatening to kill your favorite classes and teachers. :-D

Hope you have a great school year!
 
@ Logan: That is a huge part of why I love my education. I was public schooled for elementary, my sister through a couple years of middle, and my brother all through highschool (I'm the youngest of three). And I hated all the time wasting busy work they found necessary, when they could spend time actually TEACHING... as did my sibs and parents. With this system, there is no need to waste time because you're paying a teacher to stand guard for an hour. I just do what I need to, then I'm done :). And my teachers don't have enough time to waste any of it, because they are expected to teach so much information in a small time frame. Plus, the parents would totally jump their butt if they did a bad job XD.

@ Shaynie: ConGRADulations! :D! I can't wait until graduation, I'm just hoping I make it that far (as long as I pass World History...)!

@ JinnyD: Thanks so much! Though I'm not untouched by budget cuts :/. I initially planned on taking dual enrollment classes all through highschool (really heavy loads for Junior and Senior year), and getting an Associates Degree in Science when I graduated highschool, but then the state changed the dual enrollment laws (due to stinking budget cuts) and my entire plan (which was dated with each class and credit amount and everything in a spreadsheet) went out the window. And I was really looking forward to it too, I thought it'd look great to colleges (plus I was friends with the librarian and classmates and some of the teachers... and lost all that) :(. It's interesting you said that-a customer at work I knew from elementary school said something similar today... lol.

@ You all: Thanks for commenting! I really appreciate it! And I hope that the coming school year goes wonderfully for you!
 

Post a Comment

Hope this post didn't totally bore ya! :D. I love my commenters, because I value your opinion and love to hear your thoughts! So, what do you think? :)