"Talking only brings the toothaches on
Because I say the stupidest things
So if my resolve goes south
I'll swallow my pride with an aspirin
And shut my mouth"
Because I say the stupidest things
So if my resolve goes south
I'll swallow my pride with an aspirin
And shut my mouth"
Then, on Wednesday morning, I woke up at 5:12am crying like a baby because it hurt horribly, and my face was twice as large as the day before. The general lack of substantial food combined with my pain medicine (the main side effect of which is dizziness), meant I was kind of delirious and spent a lot of time fighting to keep my eyes open. You know that look that little boys get on their face when they see something gross, but fascinating? The slight head tilt and raising of the lip, with part of a smile and that certain 'whoa…' look in their widened eyes? That is how my MOM looked at me when she saw my watermelon of a head that morning. I couldn't go to school, and because it was obviously not normal, we called the dentist and went in there to see him, and he was pretty upset. Actually, his first question was "who are you?"! He then looked me in the eye, and said 'it hurts doesn't it?' and I nodded and was trying not to cry, and he said 'come here' and gave me a hug. Then, after we'd talked some about the pain, he asked me if I could open my mouth so he could check it out, and I was trying really hard but couldn't.
And so the torture commenced-he warned me it would hurt really bad, and then proceeded to try and stretch my jaw out. I have never felt pain like that (it was worse than my screwed up neck, for crying out loud!), and I was trying not to freak out because I knew he felt bad. I cried some, and was hyperventilating, and then my legs started shaking like crazy, all of which made me mad at myself because I hate being such a flipping drama queen! Eventually, he said 'I can't take this… it is like doing it to one of my kids!' and left the room with tears in his eyes. The nurse/hygienist lady was told to try it again in a minute, but she didn't. Instead, she told me to try it myself at home as much as possible, and I have been doing it some, just a little at a time. It makes me bleed a lot more, unfortunately :-P. When the dentist came back, he apologized for the pain and explained again how much he hates hurting people in general, and especially those he knows really well.
He gave me a shot in my arm to help with the pain and swelling, which was my favorite part of the visit-I have no problem whatsoever with needles, and my mom was freaking out, but I was able to tell her that I was okay and make her feel better. Calming her down helped to calm me down-my breathing became steady and I managed to smile! DEFINITELY my favorite part of the visit :D. He also prescribed an antibiotic, to help prevent infection. I asked how soon I would be back to normal, and he said not until Monday. My 18th birthday is Saturday. I will be forced to break the unwritten rule: you must look your best on your birthday. CURSES. I am able to open my mouth more now, though, which is great. It means I can eat with a spoon instead of just slurping stuff! And, thankfully, my Physics teacher has scheduled a teleconference for tonight to make up for me missing class on Wednesday, which was a master review in preparation for the final, so I'm very grateful for that as well. At this point, I'm just hoping the swelling and pain will go down some… at least enough for me to ignore it. Well, my head is spinning again from looking at this screen too long, so I better go…. Sorry for not commenting much, I haven't been awake and mentally functioning enough to read many posts, but I'm trying to get caught up.
Edit: This post was written yesterday, and since then the swelling has gone down some :D. I won't be normal tomorrow(as if I'm ever normal...), but I won't have a watermelon head either! Just a little swelling and (now) bruising. The physics review was also pretty helpful, I just need to study some more before I take the final. Well, I better go now. Thanks for reading, you really do rock ^_^.
´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨)*´¨)
(¸.·´¸.·*´¨) *
(¸.· Elizabeth *´¨)
¸.·´ ¸.·*´¨) *
(¸.·´*





6 comments:
xx,
Bleah
I actually had my left upper and lower and right upper and lower wisdom teeth removed at different appointments, so I could still try to use one side of my mouth to eat or whatever.
It hurt during the extraction (I could feel it, even though I'd had shots, which hurt as well), and maybe because I didn't use any pain medicine, it hurt as soon as the numbness wore off (which didn't take long at all the second time) and lasted until the afternoon...but while it's not an experience I'd like to go through again, it sounds like mine wasn't anything in comparison to yours.
Sorry, it looks like I'm rambling again.
Happy 18th birthday!
Hope the swelling goes down - it sounds painful... :(
@Bleah-Haha, yeah you do :D.
@Shaynie, Leanna, and Amanda-Thank y'all so much :). My birthday went well, and the swelling went down enough for me to just feel a little weird instead of straight up freakish :D!
@Maximillian-I think that I'm glad I got them all out at once (at least I won't have to go through it again), but the thought of at least having ONE side of my mouth functional is wonderful!
Oh man… your sounds worse to me-being awake for any kind of operation is a nightmarish thought… partly because I saw Awake (great movie, in my opinion) and partly because my mom was mentally awake for TWO c-sections, one of which was performed by a drunk doctor who cut her up in a zig-zag pattern while she could feel every little thing-but couldn't move or speak. I cannot imagine a worse experience… anyway, unlike you, I was sound asleep for mine, and even if it hurt afterward, at least I didn't have to feel the whole sawing thing :-P.
Post a Comment
Hope this post didn't totally bore ya! :D. I love my commenters, because I value your opinion and love to hear your thoughts! So, what do you think? :)